If someone asked you to answer “Who Are You?” with only one word what would you say?
The first word that comes to mind is that I’m a “Portlander”. Even after living outside of the US for going on 5 years I still identify most with my hometown.
15 Signs You Are From Portland:
- You enjoy the rain- especially warm rain or the sight and sound of rain on a cold winter’s night
- You are someone who enjoys “keeping it weird”
- Even though you like the rain you really revel in days with uninterrupted sun
- You think a meal at a food cart would count as a great date
- You love coffee
- You are a little thrown off when streets are not alphabetized and numbered in order (unlike most places in Venezuela or other parts in the world I’ve lived)
- You are weirdly proud that Portland has the most microbrew pubs AND strip clubs per capita…even if you don’t like beer or venturing in strip clubs
- You don’t really know how to fill up your car with gas because someone has always pumped it for you
- You know who Ramblin’ Rod is and…you may have been on his show back in the day!
- You went to outdoor school for a week in middle school and most likely were a counselor at the same place when you were in high school
- You have been all over Powell’s and have sold your used books there many times
- You can correctly pronounce “Couch St.”, “Willamette River”, “Glisan” and of course “Oregon”
- You may have waited until after you turned 20 to get your license because you grew up with excellent public transportation and bike lanes
- You probably love brunch and could be induced to wait 2 hours for it with the right drink in hand
- You love the outdoors, recycling, and going green
So even though I have traveled to many different countries and visited many different cities, I will always return to Portland every summer, because it is where my heart is.