I first became interested in The Columbus school mostly because I’ve only heard amazing things about Medellin! Once I started digging around on their website and talking to other teachers, it started sounding better and better.
I give this school a 8/10!
1. What type of school is it?
Non-profit, US accredited. They offer both a US and Colombian diploma.
2. Student population:
On the school website says that there are, “1,472 students enrolled, 98% are Colombian and the remaining 2% are from other nationalities.”
3. Class size:
23 students per class. Not my ideal class size of no more than 18. No Point.
Their website says that there are four “computer halls” shared between the three campuses.
Not mentioned on the school website. No point until proven otherwise.
6. Overall package:
There are not a lot of details on their website about the package. From what I can tell, the package seems pretty average with housing, round trip air, medical, and school transportation provided. While salary info isn’t listed on their website, on a forum post from 2009 salary was reported as $25-35K. They do have the option of taking subsidized courses which you can use to eventually get a Master’s degree. While watching the school recruitment video I heard that the school places single teachers with a roommate (or teachers can pay extra for their own apartments).
7. City Profile:
Medellin is known as a city of eternal spring with a temperature of about 72F annually. People are said to be very friendly and welcoming. It is a modern city with many cultural activities. I read somewhere that it has the largest Botero art collection (which I would enjoy). It also has a comprehensive public transportation system (which I have been missing in my life). According to Numbeo, the cost of living is about half of the COL in Portland, Oregon (you can go to their website to enter your home city).
8. Salsa Dancing:
This site lists 6 nights of salsa dancing per week! Excellent! Who wants to go out salsa dancing on a Monday anyway?
The school website says that there are, “146 teachers, including 59 North American citizens, 81 Colombians and 6 from other nationalities”.
I’ve been to a few Colombian restaurants and the food is good. It is similar to Venezuelan food which I also like. Lots of tropical fruits and vegetables available. My expat friends in Venezuela have reported that they have had no trouble finding imported items. Check out this website for some typical Colombian dishes.
Please comment! Have you been to Medellin? Would you want to work there? Have you or someone you know worked at the Columbus School? Can you add any info to what I’ve listed above?