I am visiting Paris this summer for about five days in June. One thing that is kinda on my list of things to see is the American School of Paris. I have been reading on various forums for a few years that this is a highly desirable school to work at. Who wouldn’t want to work in the City of Light?! I decided to do a little investigating to see how The American School of Paris measures up agains my other dream schools.
I give this school a 9/10 (one point off for low ability to save)!
1. What type of school is it? Non-profit, US accredited, offering an IB diploma, and AP courses
2. Student population: I like that ASP is a midsize school with, “more than 800 students… who come from 54 different countries and speak 36 different mother-tongue languages.”
3. Class size: This website says that the average primary school class size is 21. This is an average class size (though bigger than I’ve ever had while teaching overseas).
4. Technology: The school website says that Lower School students have access to iPads, Middle School has 1:1 laptops, and Upper School has a bring your own device program.
5. Retirement: Not mentioned on the school website. However, I’m under the impression that most European Schools provide a pension so there must be something for retirement.
6. Overall package: I’ve read on various forums that a top salary at this school would be about $70,000 USD and that you would get taxed at about 30-40% and then you would have to pay for your own housing! I’ve read many places that Paris is not a place to go if you want to save any money…and that some people go into debt if they have any debt back home or they want to travel.
7. City Profile: Like I said before, I have been planning on visiting Paris this summer, so I don’t have first hand knowledge, but it is PARIS. I don’t know anyone who has said that they hated Paris. The museums full of art, the fashion, the architecture, the walkability, and French Culture. What’s not to like?!
8. Salsa Dancing: This site lists 7 nights of salsa dancing per week! I’m a little concerned that there is no mention of Cuban Salsa!
9. Teachers: I’ve read that the 120 teachers at this school stay for a long time because it’s PARIS! Therefore, new teachers need to learn French fast so they can make friends outside of the school because teachers here already have lives of their own.
10. Food: Who doesn’t love French food? French food is world famous for having some of the best meals in the world. I just think that if I lived in Paris I would have to bring one size fits all garments because I would immediately start gaining weight from all the bread, cheese, desserts, and wine that I plan on having if I ever lived there.
Please comment! Have you been to Paris? Would you want to work there? Have you or someone you know worked at the American School of Paris? Can you add any info to what I’ve listed above?